Monday, April 21, 2008

Inner lies

There are some things, (I won't call them facts or thoughts or beliefs) in my life that I hold so dearly close, that it will shatter my very foundations, if I were even to question their veracity.

For some people, it is THE truth. These are the people who just know things.. they are perfect colors, be it black or white or even beige. They live and die happily.

Then, there are some other people like yours truly, just do not identify with anything of a definite shade. They are just floating clouds of grey in the plasma of indecision. They desperately seek things to give them shape, color, meaning, identity.

For example, I can never question that there is hope. I can never question that there can be change. I cannot help but think that people can rise from their worst and improve. But you already can see, even as I write it, I would not have had to cling to these thoughts unless I had not already feared (perhaps even accepted) defeat.

I can see this in many other people around me too. People spend lifetimes clinging to things that they wont question for a moment because it is the dearest thing that they have. A self image that is closest to what they would want to be. Sheltering themselves from whatever the reality (whatever that means) is. Remarkable is the power of self delusion.
Is it worth a try to wipe this mirror clean? Why do we lie to ourselves? Why is truth so ugly?

7 Comments:

At 11:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what is the truth? that is so ugly?

 
At 1:04 PM , Blogger nphard said...

To me, the ugly truth is that, there is a finite chance that things cannot be changed, I cannot enhance my capacities. The ugly truth is that the obvious flaws that I see in people's attitude towards life, can ACTUALLY BE incorrigible.

Things may ACTUALLY be, out of my control.. is my ugly truth that I try to escape from, that I cling to the slimmest hope against its possibility.

 
At 12:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

why would it be so ugly? if you see it as a series of causes and effects, the sample space no matter huge, is contained...what is so ugly about it...

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger nphard said...

Well, there is a rationale behind every thing that happens around us. But that does not make it any less acceptable, or consumable. People die due to earthquakes which are due to tectonic plate movements,and if you were there, you were dead, if you weren't, you can do nothing about it. The causality is perfect. But it does not make it any less ugly!

Emotional and psychological events, and catastrophes are similar. They are perfectly explained for, we know what changed will make the problem go away.. but it doesn't help in any which way!
Uncontrollability is ugly wherever.

 
At 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok.
you are stating your opinion, that somethings, that you cant control, you deem it as ugly...ok..

just a thought...
there might not be any absolute way of determining if something is ugly or not...it is individual perception..
anyway..peace out.

 
At 9:35 AM , Blogger nphard said...

Oh yes .. Of course. This is purely my opinion. hence the "To me," in my statements. Sorry, if I lead you to think otherwise.
This write up was about my friends, and my state of affairs..

And yes, you are right. beauty or the lack of it, is a most subjective opinion.

 
At 1:48 AM , Blogger Avinash Rao said...

hey, no posts for a while ... what's up?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home