Friday, September 15, 2006

Another evening at random .. Napflio, Greece

This is one more of the posts.. that I promised myself I will finish some day.. and since the homework is due on monday, now seems to be the perfect time to finish another installment!

If I were to owe my life, my happiness, my admiration, my sense of pride, and my reverence to a man, two men actually, it would be to my father, C.N. Nagaraj a.k.a Daasaru (to his reverant desciples), and my advisor Dr. Aristotle Arapostathis a.k.a Ari (to his reverant desciples). I could write songs about them..(dont worry I wont get in to that right now).. I could just watch them go through their daily lives.. (doing Sandhyavandana, or having a smoke (respectively their most favorite activities)) and feel exhilerated.. feel satisfied with my life because I caught a glimpse of it..They are the men, I wish to live up to some day... perhaps ...

Ok, not getting too distracted, Aristotle Arapostathis is my supervisor.. One of the most brainy people in the world (from whatever I have seen of the world). He is also, a coffee, wine, cigarette, music, Mac, standard transmission driving, stochastic systems geek among other things! Dr. M. K. Ghosh, (close friend of Dr. Ari from IISc) mentioned to Wei so knowingly.. that Dr. Ari is one professor who has never outgrown his bachelor's student enthusiasm! I think that every one who knows him will agree ! He was born in Athens..and the fountain of culture, class, knowledge, that vibrant LIFE, that spurts out of Athens, finds it channel through him .. in every which way..

Actually, that whole last paragraph was a distraction.. but anyways, we met Ari in Athens. We told him, we planned to go to Delphi, (overnight stay) Drive to Olympia( another night ) (third day undecided)and then take a ferry to the volcanic island Santorini. He in his wise greek fashion, with a thick accent said.. You MUST .. ABSOLUTELY MUST go to Napflio.. waving his hand like he is spinning a key chain at the end of his forefinger (that is his style).. he said "I strongly recommend it" .. We thought why not !

As per his emphatic advice, we did not stay overnight in Olympia, instead drove a killing 6 hours to reach Napflio.. I say killing because, on the map provided by greece tourism center, they say, the road from Olympia to Napflio via the village Tripoli, is a highway.. YEAH RIGHT !! it is about 10 feet at its widest.. and it (i swear) really goes half a foot next to some of the most vertical earth-cracked-open cliffs of the earth !! Prince is one of the safest drivers on earth.. to whom, driving comes naturally.. Watching him drive is like watching a gracefull ballet dancer.. and HE WAS SWEATING in fear of losing control!! and believe me .. that says a REAL LOT about the terrain !

yada yada yada, we reached Napflio. Oh my god !! What a delightful place it was !! It was about to rain.. so all the amazing things you hear about the Greek bluest seas and beaches, were ALL THE MORE TRUE about it's blue-green-greys too !! I wont say more.. i am too lazy to type.. + anything I say can only be de-meaning to the beauty the place holds ! To any one who is willing to take an advice, GO TO NAPFLIO AND SEE IT FOR YOURSELF !!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home