Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The closest I ever came to quarter million dollars

2 days ago, when I went shopping with Prince, I wanted to buy a bag.. Prince said.. "why don't you check it online? perhaps you will get it cheaper?". "If only, I could check it right now..", I said to him.. "May be we can develop an application, to take a picture of the bar codes of products and do some basic image processing to get the UPC code and do a google product search.. won't that be cool?" He said "yeah.. but I bet, the shops will prohibit you from doing that.. bla bla" .. and we got lost in a digression..

Today, I got an email from Graduate Women in Computing (UT AUSTIN) , inviting all students to compete for a workshop.. When I browsed through the website, I saw the Google Android Challenge. I called up Prince immediately, and asked him, "why don't we participate with our idea of the bar-code scanner + google product search?" . He said "sure, sounds like fun!". Then, I went to see the details of the challenge..

It turns out, that my idea has already been thought.. and IT HAS FREAKING WON a $ 275,000 AWARD!! ..

Well....

Moral of the story: GO SHOPPING MORE OFTEN!

2 Comments:

At 1:29 PM , Blogger Ginda said...

Well.. carry a fone where you can browse right there:)

Or better yet, leave the husband at home.

 
At 1:39 PM , Blogger Ginda said...

I thot I posted my comment earlier.. but it dint go thru:(

Well anyways.. good post.
Take a cell fone where u can browse when u go shopping

Better yet, leave the husband behind, so he wont bother you with choices:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home