Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Another day in Project work.... another treasure hunt

Well... you know those times? when you are supposed to be doing something else? and you are doing something else? (like reading this stuff when you could come up with at-least 20 things that you would be better off doing?).. I had one of those times.. and I went on hunting for ghazals.. and I ran in to ..rather clicked in to (Gee, I wish there was a smart-ass word to rephrase that) this site for urdu lovers: http://www.aligarians.com . I loved the site and I am going to be visiting them often. Here is a gem of a ghazal I found there... written by Jigar Muradabadi, and here is a rendition by Begum Akhtar

In case you are too lazy to go to that site, here is the ghazal:

tabiiyat in dinoN be-gaana-e-Gham hotii jaatii hai
mere hisse ki goyaa har Khushii kam hotii jaatii hai

qayaamat kyaa! ye ai husn-e-do-aalam hotii jaatii hai
ke mehfil to vohii hai, dilkashi kam hotii jaati hai

vohii mai-Khaana-o-sahbaa, vohi saaghar, vohii shiishaa
magar aavaaz-e-nushaanosh maddham hotii jaatii hai

(mai-Khaana-o-sahbaa : tavern and the wine; saaghar : goblet; shiishaa : glass; nushaanosh : ?)

vohii hai shaahid-o-saaqii magar dil bujhtaa jaataa hai
vohii hai shammaa lekin raushnii kam hotii jaatii hai

(shaahid : witness; saaqii : cup-bearer)

vohii hai zindagii lekin “Jigar” yeh haal hai apnaa
ke jaise zindagii se zindagii kam hotii jaatii hai


Here is what I think this poem intends to say:

My spirits, is benumbed to sadness little by little, of late..
It feels like my share of every bliss is shrinking, little by little , of late.. .

Apocalypse? To me, this seems like the beauty of both worlds..

Although the crowd is the same, i feel the charm withering little by little, of late..

It is the same tavern, the wine and the very same glass..
But the murmur of splash seems muffled little by little, of late..

It is my same old cohort, serving me, but my heart suffocates..
It is the same old candle by the light seems to dull little by little, of late,

Life is still the same, but Jigar, My state has come to this..
that, the very life in my life seems to diminish little by little of late..

It is hard for me to even bring out a small fraction of the gradual and painful decline of the spirit of life that he is describing.. English simply fails me.. I wish that I was equipped with better faculty than translation to share the feelings I get when I read these verses..

1 Comments:

At 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link and I am glad that you liked the site.

There is an excellent translation by Siyaah of this wonderful Ghazal of Jigar.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home